The Aggie Barn: Future USU Welcome Center & Museum of Anthropology

The Aggie Barn:  Future USU Welcome Center & Museum of Anthropology
Architect's rendering of rehabilitated and expanded Barn to house the Museum of Anthropology and a USU Welcome Center.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Interview Excerpt, Harold Kinzer, Ph.D.




Harold Kinzer is a retired Speech Communication Professor who wrote a detailed history of his connection to the Barn. Below are some excerpts which provide a feel for his relationship to the building, the students, and the program.

"From 1994-2007, the primary Barn use was speech communication instruction, the Barn continued to be known either as the “Art Barn” or “PSYAL” (psychology animal lab).

"During the 14 years that I was in the Barn, I began each term by joking that the Barn is where the university hid embarrassing professors. Possibly some students, after working with me, thought that this was a truthful statement. While I was out, an unknown student taped a vinyl clown to my office door. I took this as a compliment and kept it there until my retirement. Of course, I might have misunderstood the student’s intent.

"Most students had a hoot presenting speeches in an actual barn haymow. While waiting for class to begin some students would explore the abandoned equipment I had piled on the first floor. None had seen electronic equipment with tubes. Yes, radios once had big glowing tubes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment